Abortion self-care: Values clarification for action and transformation workshop facilitator’s guide
Research and evidence show that people can safely and effectively self-manage medical abortion, also called abortion with pills, when they have accurate information. Abortion self-care (ASC) is abortion with pills without the necessity of a prescription. With ASC, a pregnant person manages as much of the process as they want on their own, with or without the involvement of a health-care provider.
Ipas created this facilitator’s guide for use with providers, health systems and communities to expand access to supportive, stigma-free abortion care. It is designed to be a flexible resource that can serve training needs for a variety of audiences and settings. It is not a structured curriculum, but rather a collection of activities and materials that can be used individually or in combination, based on the timing and agenda of individual workshops as needed.
In this facilitator’s guide:
Tips for planning and facilitating a VCAT workshop
Abortion self-care talking points
Cross the Line
Talking About Abortion Self-Care
Personal Beliefs vs. Professional Responsibilities
Workshop evaluation tools
- ASC VCAT Analysis Tool (Excel file)
- Pre-workshop survey programming template (Excel file)
- Post-workshop survey programming template (Excel file)
- Six-month follow-up survey programming template (Excel file)
Supplemental survey items
Tools last updated November 2022
Note: Ipas regularly updates our evaluation tools and notes the date of last update on this page. Please check back regularly to ensure you’re using the latest version—or email VCAT@ipas.org to receive the latest version.
Find Ipas resources on abortion with pills at: www.ipas.org/AbortionWithPills
- Video: How to have an abortion with pills: Mina’s story
- Guide: How to have an abortion with pills
- Guide: How to buy abortion pills that are safe and effective
- Guide: Medication abortion self-care: A guide for community accompaniment to support women
Workshop feedback form