From invisible to indispensable:
Resources for advocates and educators
CSE as a human right
Access to inclusive comprehensive sexuality education is an essential human right. There are international human rights mechanisms that work to ensure nations and governments don’t violate the essential rights of young people across the globe. CSE is covered under three different human rights bodies:
Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR)
right to education
Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC)
right to education that promotes health and well-being
International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD)
right for individual to make decisions about their own sexuality and reproduction, free from coercion, discrimination, and violence
Learn more: Organizations including the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association(ILGA) and OutRight International are great resources for these topics
Advocate for comprehensive CSE in the U.S. by following or connecting with EducateUS.
Inclusive CSE curricula
Bisexual and pansexual resources for youth and those serving them
- Advocates for Youth–I Think I Might Be Bisexual + Pansexual
- Association of American Medical Colleges–Supporting and Caring for our Bisexual Youth
- Bisexual Resource Center–Bi+ Youth
- Human Rights Campaign–Supporting and Caring for Bisexual Youth
- Movement Advancement Project–Invisible Majority
- Trevor Project–How to Support Bisexual Youth
Monitoring opposition and combating mis- and disinformation
These resources address opposition or misinformation about comprehensive sexuality education as well as bisexual and pansexual people and communities.
- False Pretenses: The Anti-Comprehensive Sexuality Education Agenda Weaponizing Human Rights. This report from Ipas outlines the main anti-CSE actors and how they link to each other, UN member states, and other global, regional, and national anti-rights and anti-gender trends.
- Covering LGBTQ+ health and health care: Reporting tips and story ideas–an article from The Journalist’s Resource
- Campaigns to undermine sexuality education in the public schools. This post from the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) addresses the attacks on comprehensive sexuality education across the U.S.
- The Next Frontier: Comprehensive Sex Education in the Post-Roe Era. This webinar roundtable from Political Research Associates (PRA) addresses the attacks on sex education in the U.S. since the overturn of Roe v. Wade.
A Q&A with researchers who studied what bisexual and pansexual youth need from sex ed
Suggested Citation: Ipas & Political Research Associates. (2023). From invisible to indispensable: New research shows why bisexual and pansexual youth need comprehensive sexuality education that meets their needs. Ipas. https://www.ipas.org/our-work/sexuality-education-that-includes-abortion/from-invisible-to-indispensable/