Comprehensive Abortion Care
Ipas’s woman-centered comprehensive abortion care approach takes into account the various factors that influence a woman’s individual health needs—both physical and mental—as well as her personal circumstances and her ability to access services.
We believe that comprehensive abortion care programs should:
- Provide safe, high-quality services, including abortion, postabortion care and family planning;
- Decentralize services so they are closer to women;
- Be affordable and acceptable to women;
- Address the needs of women in the second trimester of pregnancy (at or after 13 weeks gestation) by providing services or referring;
- Understand each woman’s particular social circumstances and individual needs and tailor her care accordingly;
- Address the needs of young women;
- Reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions;
- Identify and serve women with other sexual or reproductive health needs;
- Be affordable and sustainable to health systems.