What We Do
Ipas works globally to improve access to safe abortion and contraception so that every woman and girl can determine her own future. Across Africa, Asia and Latin America, we work with partners to make safe abortion and contraception widely available, to connect women with vital information so they can access safe services, and to advocate for safe, legal abortion.
- We work with health-care systems and providers to increase their skills and capacity to deliver safe abortion services and contraception.
- We work with nations’ ministries of health to interpret laws governing abortion in the broadest terms possible and to write standards and guidelines for abortion care accordingly to ensure access for as many women as possible.
- We educate health-care providers and administrators about the importance of providing safe abortion and contraceptive services as a matter of public health and human rights.
- We work to bolster the number of available abortion providers by advocating for laws and policies that allow non-physician providers to perform abortion services and referrals.
- We also work to train non-physician provider groups, such as certified nurse midwives and community health volunteers, and to support their work within the communities they serve.